Now I am a pretty organized person, a self confessed organization addict, but meals can get me on occasion. Even when I have my meal plan in place, there are days that life changes the plan. These have been what I have dubbed as my Chopped moments. Except instead of a basket of mystery ingredients, I have a pantry of mystery ingredients. Thirty minutes to make a well balanced entrée with only the ingredients found in your pantry and fridge! This family hit came from one of those moments. Hence the name – Chopped Inspired Spicy Cheesy Sausage over Rice. Well, and the ingredients. I was desperate and maple pork breakfast sausage was the only sausage in the house at the time. That said, it adds an awesome flavor.
Chopped Red Onion – 1/2 cup
Maple Pork Breakfast Sausage – 1 package of 8
Canned or Leftover Ham (Shredded) – 1 can
Canned or Leftover Cooked Chicken (Shredded) – 1 can
Progresso Recipe Starter Cheese – 1 can
Diced Green Chilies and Tomatoes – 1 can
Butter – 2 tablespoons
Salt and Pepper
Chili Powder – 1 teaspoon
White or Brown Rice
Sliced Black Olives for Garnish – 1 can
1. Cook white rice per brand’s instructions and set aside.
2. In a large paella pan, cook sausage till almost cooked through. Add chili powder while it cooks. Break up into chunks as you cook.
3. Add chopped onion and butter and cook until the onion is slightly translucent.
4. Add shredded ham and chicken. Add a dash of salt and a dash of pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes.
5. Add diced chilies and tomatoes and cook until warm – about 5 minutes.
6. Add can of cheese starter. Stir until blended. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until hot, stirring frequently to avoid sticking and burning.
7. Serve over rice and garnish with black olives.
There you have it! Chopped Inspired Spicy Cheesy Sausage over Rice!