In my family, we are all about fast on certain days – basketball night, bass contenders nights, and so on – when it comes to dinner. And my staple homemade vegetarian chili does the trick every time. It’s a crowd pleaser and topped with cheddar cheese and sour cream gets top marks from even my pickiest eater. It’s perfect for a cold winter night in front of a fire or a cookout in the backyard.
1 can of dark or light kidney beans
1 can of black beans
1 can of white beans
1 can of diced tomatoes – plain
1 can of diced tomatoes and green chili (medium)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup of broken cashew pieces
Seasoned to your spice level with ground chili powder
Seasoned to taste with salt and ground black pepper
1. In a large pot, cook diced onions over a medium heat until partially translucent.
2. Add kidney beans, black beans, white beans, both cans of diced tomatoes and stir until well combined.
3. Add ground chili powder, salt and pepper. Stir in until well combined.
4. Let simmer for 10 minutes on medium low heat. Stir frequently.
5. Stir in cashews and let simmer for another 10-15 minutes. Stir frequently.
6. Add sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese in a bowl. Serve with a bread stick.