I am all about simple and easy. Even better things that can be prepped in advance and placed in the oven to cook all on its own with little supervision. My family’s recipe for Tuna Noodle Casserole is just that – simple, easy and practically cooks itself. You can mix it up with chicken, turkey, even ham for a slight twist in flavor but not at the expense of more work. My family loves it – both my family from when I was a kid and even the picky eaters of my family now!
1 Bag of Medium Egg Noodles
1 Medium Onion, diced
1 Bag (standard 2 cup bag) of shredded mild cheddar cheese
1 Can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
1/2 Cup Cream or Milk
1 Tablespoon Butter
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1/8 Teaspoon Pepper
10 to 15 Saltine Crackers
How to Put It Together:
1. Boil egg noodles until cooked fully – slightly hard. Drain and rinse and place in casserole dish.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3. Dice onions, shredded cheese, raw egg, cream of mushroom soup, cream for thicker or milk for runnier, butter, salt and pepper to noodles. Mix until well blended.
4. Crush saltines and spread over the top of the casserole.
5. Place in preheated oven to bake for about 25 to 30 minutes. Check often to make sure the crackers are not burning. If they are, cover with aluminum. Casserole is done when the cheese is bubbling and the crackers are lightly brown.
6. Serve warm and enjoy the “mmms” and “yums” that will follow.