One of the new things for me with my new health and wellness program is figuring out healthy low glycemic meals. A definite go to for many people is spaghetti squash. So I have tried spaghetti squash before…yeah…it didn’t go well. I threw out the whole thing. I was definitely hesitant to try it again. BUT I needed to find an alternative to the noodles I loved so much.
I searched and searched the web and took what I had done previously with what was being said on varying websites and came up with one amazing spaghetti squash recipe. To quote my husband, “I may need to go out and have a cigarette after that.” That’s his way of saying its yummy.
Now the sauce was completely my own creation. What I loved about this sauce was the fact that the flavors unfold as you enjoy a bite. First, you get this decadent, rich creaminess, then the tart of the tomato and finally the mild flavor transitions to a warm subtle heat from the chili flakes. The dish itself was really easy to make and will be a definite repeat dish in this house!
1 spaghetti squash
1/2 cup water
salt and pepper
1 pound ground turkey
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup cream
1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
grated parmesan cheese (optional)
Putting It All Together:
1. Preheat oven to 375 º F.
2. Slice the spaghetti squash in half and deseed it. Sprinkle salt and pepper on to the squash and rub olive oil on the inside. Pour 1/2 cup of water in a pan and place the spaghetti squash inside down into the pan. Bake for about 40-45 minutes until spaghetti squash in soft. When they are cool enough to handle, use a spoon to scrap the squash into a bowl and set aside.
3. While the squash is cooking, make the sauce. Sautee the onions in a little water until they are translucent.
4. Add the ground turkey, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Cook until browned.
5. Add one can of diced tomatoes, butter, cream and chili flakes. Cook until warmed through.
6. Serve the spaghetti squash with sauce and top with parmesan cheese.
Until next post!